Application Due Date: TBA
Senior fire executives who are selected will be awarded fellowships to attend Harvard's annual Senior Executives in State and Local Government Program. The 3-week program is conducted on the Harvard campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Selected Fellows will be assigned one of the two session dates: June 4-22, 2012 or July 9-27, 2012. Applications seeking a fellowship must be available to attend either session.
The following criteria and guidelines have been established for the 2012 program:
- Application is open to senior fire executives who have demonstrated significant career accomplishments and have the potential to impact and initiate change. Attainment of a senior position is less important than demonstrated experience in facilitating significant change within a public sector setting.
- Preference may be given to applicants who are graduates of the National Fire Academy's "Executive Fire Officer Program," although program completion is not a prerequisite. Preference may also be given to applicants who have completed graduate-level degree programs or course work.
- Individuals whose organizations have been represented in the Harvard Fellowship Program during 2009, 2010, or 2011 will not be considered. The program is available to international participants.
- Finalists for the Harvard Fellowships will be asked to develop and present a five-year plan during their interview session, describing how they will use the opportunity if awarded a Fellowship to enhance Fire-EMS services at the local, regional, tribal, state/province/territory, or at a national or international level. Finalists will receive more details. As in the past, selected Fellows can expect to be contacted by any of the sponsors to assist and support ongoing projects to utilize their specialized knowledge and skills.
Please follow these four steps carefully as the application procedures have changed from prior years.
- Create and submit a one-page cover letter stating why the applicant is interested and demonstrates the qualifications for a Fellowship.
- Enclose a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Enclose a letter of recommendation from your senior official. If the applicant is the Chief, the letter should be written by the jurisdictional head (e.g., Mayor or City Manager). Otherwise, the recommendation should be from the Fire Chief.
- In an attachment, please respond carefully and completely to the three essay questions below. The following questions are a key component in the selection process. Please limit your response to each of the essay questions below to 250 words or less.
- At your current position, what are your specific duties and responsibilities? Describe the functions or services provided by your organization. If you are an elected official, please describe your committee assignments or size of jurisdiction.
- Please describe the most significant strategic challenges in your work.
- Please describe your immediate and long-term career goals. How will attending this program help you to achieve them?
Please do not submit your application package directly to the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Mail the application package (traceable mail with receipt is recommended) no later than February 21, 2012 (postmark) to the following address:
Harvard Fellowship Program
International Association of Fire Chiefs
c/o Ms. Cynthia Cox
4025 Fair Ridge Drive - Suite 300
Fairfax, Virginia 22033-2868
Organization: U.S. Fire Administration
Contact Name: Mary Wingert
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (301) 447-1085